Ask An Abuse And Neglect Lawyer Your Questions

Abuse happens when one person is in charge of another person’s care but willfully mistreats that person. The abuse may be physical such as slapping, hitting or pinching. It may be emotional such as manipulation, humiliation or casting insults. Neglect happens when care is withheld either intentionally or unintentionally by a person who is in a position of power or authority over the victim. Negligence is failure to take a proper duty of care when required, which results in the injury of another person.

Common Sources Of Abuse And Neglect

Abuse and neglect happen in many settings. Elderly individuals who depend on the care of professionals are often targeted. About 10 percent of adults over the age of 60 are abused or neglected. It can also happen with adults who have disabilities. In some cases, it may involve the police or other authority figures being abusive or neglectful of people who are in their care. Also, abuse can happen in the form of defamation. The overall idea to remember is that anyone who abuses power to harm another person by actions or words is being abusive.

Types Of Abuse And Neglect Cases

There are several different forms of abuse and neglect. While many of them relate to assisted or skilled nursing facilities and home care services for elderly individuals, they may include situations with police or other authority figures who have a duty of care to avoid harming the vulnerable party. The following are some common types of cases:

What To Do After Experiencing Abuse Or Neglect

If you have a family member in a nursing home who you think is being abused, it is important to report it immediately. If the individual is in danger, call the police. You must be proactive about watching for bruises, worsening hygiene, odors, social withdrawal, agitation and depression. These may all be signs of elder abuse or neglect. Elder law specifically protects aging adults from many forms of abuse and neglect.

When you are the victim of defamation, emotional distress from someone in a position of power over you, police negligence or abuse by the police, you should immediately call an attorney. You should also speak with a lawyer if you purchased products from another party that caused your customers harm or injury. Since time is limited to file a lawsuit, contact a lawyer with your questions as quickly as possible.